Thursday 10 August 2017

Third Greatest Day Ever!

Hello Everyone!

Sorry for the delay in posting. I have been out having the most marvellous time ever, since I got some wonderful news through! More on that in a second.. I need to give you some background before I can tell you it, and you won't think me crazy (it happens a lot believe me).

So to give you a bit of background about me, I never knew what I wanted to be at school, and subsequently bummed my way though school and college (literally the worst thing I could have done - yep, I know that now!). Any who, my love of the Tudor period came later, a lot later. I liked History but it was never something I thought of as a career or anything. So I stumbled my way through different jobs before settling on a position in HR, which I quite enjoy, and hey it pays the bills.

Through my many years re-enacting Henry VIII's immediate family though, I realised this was something I truly enjoyed, and I couldn't wait for my weekends to come so that I could run from the day job, and have a weekend of pure bliss.

From this I know now that my dream job would be working for Past Pleasures or Historic Royal Palaces as a Costumed Interpreter. Basically that meant I would go around in costume interacting with the public, and bringing the past closer to visitors by interpreting a historical site and it's objects, and telling it's story to them. However, making this leap wouldn't be easy, I'm running out of time in life, and I do not have a qualification in the relevant fields, besides having a bucket load of passion. Also the job market in Heritage is unbelievably tough, so a lot of people carry out volunteering in the relevant field to gain experience, alongside working for their degree's. I have volunteered for Sudeley Castle before and carried out work as a guide, so volunteering in a historical site was nothing unusual for me. Let me tell you it's a completely different world on the other side of the doors!

One day I was searching on the National Trust website, and decided to look at the Volunteering section instead of the jobs section, and low and behold they had a Costumed Interpreter role going - this was crazily rare! Then I thought knowing me it will be somewhere so far away that it would be unfeasible for me to do it, but I clicked on it anyway - seriously God/a higher power (whatever you choose to believe) was smiling on me this day. The position was at Chedworth Roman Villa just 25 minutes up the road from where I lived! So I applied... and then I waited.. and waited..

A couple of weeks later, I received an email from a lady at the National Trust. The references I gave came back satisfactory and could I come in for a Trial day. Here was the tricky part, I have so much going on at work at the moment so I said I could, but I would only be able to at the weekend, and I couldn't do this one as I was taking part in a Relay for Life for Cancer Research (everyone raised £80k + what an achievement!). She replied that she was taking part too, and that we could meet up there. Which was amazing - don't you just love life when it plans out! So here was the funny bit, it was a fancy dressed event, which meant she had to look for me and I was wearing a massive yellow anorak (Singing in the Rain) and I had to look for her, and she was dressed as a Nun (Sister Act)! You literally can't make that up!

That's just some of my team below, just so you understand how lovely I looked..



So, I met her, and agreed with her to go in the following Saturday to meet with a long serving Costumed Interpreter there to have a look around. I came away pinching myself, not quite believing this was real. Yes, it's Roman (which I don't know very well - I am happy to learn of course), but it's a direct foot in the door to something I would love to do, with a phenomenal and well known company. I can't stop smiling!

Until next time...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Things to see and do at ...Tewkesbury Medieval Festival

I've just come back from attending Tewkesbury Medieval Festival and it seems to get increasingly better with each passing year (if that...